Prohibition MonteProhibition Monte drastically enhances one of the world’s most famous card swindles; giving it a truly impossible ending that will leave your audiences running for the cops!
(what does this mean?)
1. Self Working
Self working magic tricks are tricks that just work! They require no sleight of hand whatsoever. They are absolutely perfect for beginners. Desipite being super easy, we still recommend practising them in private first to perfect your patter and presentation.
2. Easy to Learn
These tricks are also beginner friendly, but there will most likely be a few sneaky (but fairly easy) moves to rehearse and remember before the trick is ready to be performed. Unlike self working tricks, these will require a little more confidence, but we believe in you!
3. Some Experience Necessary
Products in this category aren't difficult to do, but they will require some basic knowledge of the craft. If you know what a false cut is and can do a double lift, you've probably got what it takes to get value from these tricks. If you have no idea what any of that just meant, don't worry, you will after watching our beginners masterclass (coming soon).
4. Dedication Required
We always recommend practising your magic, even for self working tricks. But these tricks will require more than the average. Products that require some more advanced coin or card manipulations will probably fall into this category. Or tricks that need you to memorise a lot of information.
5. Serious Dedication Required
You're a serious magician if you're venturing into these realms. But it's true what they say; dicipline is rarely enjoyable but it is ALWAYS profitable. And boy, will you will reap the rewards. We salute you!
Straight from the close-up act of prolific magic inventor and television consultant, Alan Rorrison, Prohibition Monte is the perfect fusion of three of magic’s most amazing card routines:
- The Two Card Monte
- The Anniversary Waltz, and
- The Torn and Restored Card
This baffling 1920s prohibition-themed effect was inspired by Rorrison’s love for old con games and his fascination with legal loopholes.
Here’s what happens:
- You explain that during the prohibition era, conmen used half-sized torn cards in an attempt to circumvent gambling laws that prohibited backstreet games using regular, full-sized playing cards.
- You remove two visually different torn half cards from your wallet and show them front and back.
- The spectator is asked to “follow the lady” and keep their eyes on the Queen.
- You cleanly and fairly place the Queen in your empty pocket and ask the spectator where the Queen is; in the hand or in the pocket?
- The answer seems SO obvious, but the spectator will consistently get it wrong. UNTIL you want them to win, of course
- To give the spectator an advantage, you allow them to sign the faces of both half-cards to make them easier to follow. You repeat the challenge but to their amazement (and increasing frustrations) they’re still deceived by which card is where.
- For the grand finale, both half-cards are placed between the hands of the spectator where the two counterparts fuse together to make a single, full size, mis-matched, double signed card!
In the detailed video instructions, shot on location in a prohibition themed bar, Alan Rorrison equips you with all the knowledge required to begin performing this swindle as soon as humanly possible.
Prohibition Monte can be added to your repertoire without sacrificing any of your current effects due to limited pocket space; Everything you need to perform the effect can be stored perfectly in any wallet in a single credit card slot.
The phrase “packs small, plays big” is a cliche in magic, but Prohibition Monte is the epitome of this concept; you will always have a miracle at your fingertips at a moment’s notice. Alan Rorrison has this trick set up and ready to go in everything from his wallet to his gym bag and you will too.
In fact, it’s so small it will even fit in that tiny pocket in your jeans that nobody ever knows what to do with (and you still wouldn’t even know it was there)!
All of the necessary gimmicks required to begin performing this audacious effect come elegantly packed in a premium, gold foiled tuck box containing five long-lasting reusable gaffed cards and twenty final-reveal “souvenir” cards. The “souvenir” cards are designed to be signed during the performances and given away at the end. However, the trick works equally well without signatures, in-turn making the cards last infinitely longer across many repeat performances.
If you prefer to perform the signed version, affordable refills are now available.
Expert playing card designer Destino has created each card with a subtle distressed style to fit the theme of the routine. The cards are printed on harder-wearing and thicker card stock to regular Bicycle cards to ensure they withstand your many performances.
Built for workers by a worker, Prohibition Monte is the ideal addition to any close up magician’s set. It is easy to do, has a powerful “hook” and ends with an awesome souvenir for your spectator!
Secure your very own Prohibition Monte and become a master of the con today.
Alan Rorrison is one of the top creative magicians in the UK. He frequently works as a magic consultant for TV's top magicians.
"A winning combination of magic & monte"
R. Paul Wilson (The Real Hustle)
"A killer worker that takes up no pocket space and is great to have in your wallet at all times. Easy to do with a GREAT kicker ending - Get this now!"
"Damn! That's the best monte routine I've EVER seen!"